Unitarian Chapel: Stockport Road Gee Cross Hyde.
The first nonconformist chapel built entirely like a Church of England church with long chancel and altar table. Built in the Decorated style.
THE NEW UNITARIAN CHAPEL, GEE CROSS, HYDE It is the Gothic or pointed style of architecture of that particular development known as the "Early decorated," which prevailed towards the close of the thirteenth century. In general arrangement it very much resembles an old parish church, consisting of a nave with north and south aisles; long chancel at the east end, set apart for the administration of the sacrament and the celebration of marriages: and at the west end a lofty tower and spire rising to the height of one hundred and forty five feet, surmounted by a gilt metal cross. On the south side of the body of the chapel, near the western extremity, is an open porch, which will form the principal entrance, and opposite to this, on the north side, is another door, which, with the great west door, are all elaborately framed in solid oak, and covered with iron scroll work. The nave is six bays or divisions in length, and measures feet 6 inches, by feet 8 inches inside. It is divided into centre and side aisles by two rows of clustered pillars, from which spring moulded arches supporting a wall, and what is technically termed a clerestory," which perforated by small coupled trefoil headed windows, placed immediately over the arches below. The aisles have in each bay a window of two lights, with simple but varied tracery in the head, and the bays are separated by buttresses of bold projection. The walls are kept low as being more in keeping with the character of a country structure, and have no parapets, the roofs finishing with simple tilted eaves. At the west end of each aisle is a window nearly similar to those above mentioned, and at the east end of the south aisle is window of three lights with the head tracery a somewhat richer character. This window is filled with stained glass embodying a representation of Faith, Hope, and Charity. The chancel is upwards of 30 feet in length, and lighted on the sides by lofty windows, with simple tracery, and by a large richly traceried window of five lights at the east end. This window, which forms the central feature in the interior view, seen from the tower end, is filled with stained glass, each of the five lights between the mullions containing a full length figure—the centre one a representation of our Saviour, the two to the right representing St. Peter and St. Paul—the two to the left St. Matthew and St. John. On the north side of the chancel is the vestry, having an entrance from the outside well as from the chancel At the east end of the north aisle is a small triangular window filled with tracery and stained glass, the whole having in the interior a very beautiful effect. The west window of the tower also a fine feature as seen from the chancel; it also is filled with beautiful stained glass, representing foliage intertwined with brilliant geometric figures; and viewed connection with the massive and lofty proportion of the tower arch, it adds much to the solemnity and religious effect of that portion of the structure. The central and principal feature of the west front is, of course, the tower and spire. is disengaged, that is, only attached to the building on one side. On the west side is a large doorway with richly moulded sides and arched head, above which is a window of three lights, with the head filled with rich tracery. There are no galleries. All the seats face the east, and will accommodate about 400 people. The organ is placed at the west end, under the arch leading to the tower, and is concealed by an elaborately carved oak screen. The building has been erected from the designs of Messrs Bowman and Crowther, architects, Manchester. Inside the following inscription has been placed: This House of Prayer, Standing near the site chapel built A.D. Was erected A.D. 1846, by the descendants of the Founders, And dedicated to the Worship of The God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, Under the protection of that Act of public justice, (Stat. and 8 Vict. c. 43), Which secures to Non-subscribing Dissenters peaceful Possession of the Chapels and Endowments Of their pious Forefathers. [Manchester Courier 12 July 1848 page 6]
Reference Manchester Courier 12 July 1848 page 6