“Verona” Cinema 285 Stockport Road Guide Bridge Ashton-under-Lyne
A site has been obtained for a 1,000 capacity cinema, four shops and flats over at Stockport Road, Guide Bridge [Builder 5 April 1935 Page 665]
The new theatre to be built at Guide Bridge near Manchester to plans by Messrs Drury & Gomersall of Oxford Road, Manchester is to be designated the Verona. P Hamer Ltd of Swinton have secured the main building contract. The scheme comprises a kinema to seat over 1000 persons in the stalls and balcony.; four shops with living accommodation and a block of four houses. A stage will be provided for the presentation of variety interludes and there will be a parking ground for about 100 cars. The Verona will be opened before the end of the year. [Kinematograph Weekly 2 May 1935 Page 38]
The frontage had a neat entrance in brick, with white stone facings to the window surrounds. There was a parade of shop units on each side of the entrance which had matching brickwork and a white stone trim. Inside the auditorium the seating was arranged for 834 in the stalls and 330 in the circle. The side splay walls on each side of the proscenium was decorated in wide horizontal bands, and topped with a backlit illuminated grille. The building was sold to Oscar Deutsch and it was converted to an Odeon Cinema even before opening on 29th June 1936, The Odeon was closed by the Rank Organisation on 11th March 1961 and subsequently converted into St. Paul's Roman Catholic Church.
Reference Kinematograph Weekly 2 May 1935 Page 38
Reference Builder 5 April 1935 Page 665
Reference Builder 3 May 1935 Page 845 - P Hamer of Swinton contractor
Reference David Atwell Cathedrals of the Movies London 1980. Page 112