Walton Lea Higher Walton Cheshire
A Classical mansion designed for the Warrington industrialist and soap manufacturer George Crosfield in the Cheshire countryside. On his removal to London in 1875 it was sold to his brother, John Crosfield (1832-1901), who remained there until his death. By 1881 Crosfields were Brummer Mond’s largest customer. John Crossfield was the first chairman of BM and remained a director until his death. Crosfields were the leading Liberal family in Warrington. The Armitage family then bought it the early 1900's when the rest of the Crosfield family moved to London. When they sold it in 1923 the Greenall family, brewers and political rivals of the Crosfields, acquired it and eventually demolished it, leaving only the cottages, lodge and the walled kitchen garden intact.
The Victorians were meticulous in siting and sizing their gardens. The garden at Walton Lea measures one acre in extent and the land slopes downwards from the south-facing wall toward the north-facing wall, so that it "tilts" towards the sun. In 1942, the kitchen garden at Walton Lea, which had recently been acquired by Warrington Borough Council, as part of a plot, which covered over 48 acres, was used for intensive vegetable growing and in the early days of Warrington Borough Council ownership, produced all the year round vegetables and tomatoes for the hospitals, and privets for the new estates of Warrington.
Reference A E Musson Enterprise in Soap and Chemicals: Joseph Crosfield & Sons, Limited : 1815-1965 page 133