Warehouse,140 Devonshire Street Sheffield
The warehouse and showroom of John Armitage's Wharncliffe Fireclay Works at 140 Devonshire Street, Sheffield, incorporated many of the firm's ornamental pieces, including some good lettering and keystone heads probably modelled by the firm's Italian-born sculptor, Peter Nanetti. Datestone 1888. The works itself was in Deepcar, about 10 miles (16 km) northwest of the city centre. Armitage's home, No.91 Crookes Road Broomhill and its ancillary buildings, (later Etruria House Hotel) are ornamented in the same way with examples of his products.
The buildings are currently attributed to Matthias Seanor without evidence other than the client.
Around 1850 John Armitage purchased a small brick and tile works (Wharncliffe Fireclay Works, Deepcar) from W. J. & R. Turner and quickly turned it into a thriving business. In 1874 his son Charles came into the business and the firm became known as J. Armitage & Son. In 1878 the name changed again to J. Armitage & Sons when another son, Alfred, entered the business. John Armitage died in 1890 and the business was continued by his sons until 1903 when due to financial problems it was taken over by The Armitage Works Co. Ltd. The original business had offices in both Sheffield and Manchester.