Building Name

Wesleyan Chapel, Higher Broughton

1841 - 1842
Great Cheetham Street West
Higher Broughton, Salford
GMCA, England
New Build

OPENING OF THE NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL, BROUGHTON – Many of our Manchester readers have doubtless seen recently a rising structure in the open space a little to the south of the new church at Higher Broughton. This edifice has been erected to supply the wants of the Wesleyan Methodists residing in that suburb of the town. It is a handsome building, of much higher architectural pretentions than we have been accustomed to see in the places of worship of the Wesleyan denomination; having at a distance the appearance of a miniature cathedral or abbey. The whole front of the building, which faces the south, and is a striking object in the landscape, viewed from various points in the neighbourhood, is of ashlar stone. It consists of a centre, which is the chapel, and two projecting wings, w3hich give it breadth, and form a handsome façade. The chapel itself is designed in the Early English style, and the wings in what is termed the domestic Gothic. One of them, we understand, is to be appropriated (according to the general practice of the body0 to the residence of the minister; and the other, in all probability, to the purposes of education, as a day and Sunday school, etc. The general appearance of the interior is attractive; the principals supporting the roof are open; the altar end appears well-proportioned, and the finishings and ornaments generally of the interior accord and harmonise with the character of the structure. There is a small organ gallery over the principal entrance, and a vestry at the back of the altar or communion table. The building is capable of seating 360 persons, and we believe the cost of its erection has been less than £2,000. Mr William Hayley is the architect; and the building has not occupied eleven months in erection, the foundation stone having been laid on 11 November 1841. [Manchester Guardian 1 October 1842 page 2]

The church closed about 1947 and was demolished shortly thereafter.

Reference    Manchester Guardian 4 September 1841 page 1 – contracts
Reference    Manchester Guardian 1 October 1842 page 2 – opening