Building Name

Wesleyan Chapel, Sussex Street, Lower Broughton, Salford

Date
1868 - 1869
Street
Sussex Street
District/Town
Lower Broughton, Salford
County/Country
GMCA, England
Work
New build
Status
Demolished
Contractor
Mark Foggett of Cheetham

NEW WESLEYAN CHAPEL IN LOWER BROUGHTON. On Saturday afternoon, Mr. Richard Haworth laid the foundation stone of a new Wesleyan chapel in Sussex-street, Lower Broughton. The edifice, which is estimated to cost £5,000, and to be capable of seating 800 worshippers, is to be in the Italian style of architecture, 79 feet by 52 feet (outside measurement), with an exterior of pressed bricks and dressings of Yorkshire stone. In the rear of the building will be two classrooms, with minister's vestry, under which the heating chamber will be situated. The pews are all to be made with inclined backs, and the gallery will be panelled with coupled carved trusses. The windows will be finished internally with moulded archivolt and imposts. In the front, coupled door-cases will be constructed, with pilasters and centre column, having carved spandrels and ornamental keys; and the entablature will be surmounted by panelled pedestals supporting the pilasters and columns of the gallery windows, the latter being furnished with carved Corinthian capitals. The staircase and side windows will be somewhat plainer. The chapel is to be heated by means of hot water, and lighted by sunlights and pendants under the gallery. Mr. William Waddington. of Padiham and Burnley, is the architect; and Mr. Mark Foggett, of Cheetham the contractor. [Manchester Guardian 11 May, 1868; page 3

On Saturday last the foundation stone was laid of a new Wesleyan Chapel, at Lower Broughton, near Manchester. The building will be in the Italian style, and will seat 800 persons. Its dimensions will be 79 feet by 52 feet (outside measurement), and it will have an exterior of pressed bricks with Yorkshire stone dressings. The chapel is to cost ,5,000. Mr William Waddington, of Burnley, is the architect, and Mr Foggett, of Cheetham, the contractor. [Building News 15 May 1868 page 334]

LOWER BROUGHTON MANCHESTER - A new Wesleyan chapel has just been opened for divine services. It has been built from the designs of Mr William Waddington, architect, Burnley. It is in the Italian style, has cost about £6,000 and is capable of seating about 950 persons. The contractor was Mr. Mark Foggett of Cheetham, Manchester. [Builder 27 February 1869. Page 170 Column 3]

A new Wesleyan Chapel, in Lower Broughton, Manchester, was opened on Thursday, January 21, the first sermon being preached by the president of the Conference. The foundation stone was laid on May 9, and, with the exception of a few unimportant matters, the building is now completed, and nearly 1,000 persons may assemble in it for Divine worship. The edifice is in the Italian style of architecture, and has been erected at a cost of £6,200. [Building News 29 January 1869 page 100]

The new Wesleyan Chapel has been opened at Lower Broughton, Manchester. It is built in the Italian style of architecture, at. an expense of £6,200. {Architect and Building News 30 January 1869 Page 69]

A New Wesleyan Chapel in the Italian style was opened recently in Lower Broughton, Manchester. It has been designed to hold about 900 persons, and has cost about £6,000. The work has been executed by Mr Foggett, of Cheetham, from the designs of Mr William Waddington, of Burnley. [Architect and Building News 6 February 1869 page 83]

Reference    Manchester Guardian 11 May 1868 page 3
Reference    Manchester City News 16 May 1868 Page 3 Column 3
Reference    Building News 15 May 1868 page 334
Reference    Manchester Guardian Thursday 21 January 1869 Page 1 Col 1 – opening services
Reference    Manchester Guardian Saturday 30 January 1869 Page 1 Col 1 – opening services
Reference    Architect and Building News 30 January 1869 Page 69
Reference    Building News 29 January 1869 page 100
Reference    Architect and Building News 6 February 1869 page 83]
Reference    Builder 27 February 1869. Page 170 Column 3