West End Congregational Church, Duke Street, Southport
Also known as: Lord Street Congregational Church, Lord Street West United Reformed Church. Lord Street West United Church.
LISTING TEXT - Formerly known as: Duke Street Congregational Church DUKE STREET. Congregational church, now United Reformed church. 1861-2, gutted by fire 1964 and subsequently restored. By Walker of Manchester. Coursed sandstone rubble, slate roof with fishscale bands of green slate. STYLE: Decorated Gothic Revival. PLAN: nave with north-west tower (spire removed), south aisle, south-west vestry, chancel. EXTERIOR: 6-bay nave with buttresses, plinth and ashlar parapet with ridged coping; 2-centred arched 3-light windows with differing tracery and hoodmoulds with figured stops; and at the west end a 2-centred arched west doorway with moulded surround and hoodmould with figured stops, and a large segmental-pointed 5-light window with Decorated tracery. Tower with short angle buttresses, 2-centred arched west doorway (like that of the nave), cusped lancets to the second stage, and 2-centred arched 2-light belfry windows with moulded surrounds, shafts and stone louvres, rising into the broached base of the former spire. Church hall attached to east end (1965, by David Jones of Ormerod & Partners of Liverpool). INTERIOR: not inspected. Listing NGR: SD3316516812
Reference Builder 16 March 1872 page 201 - list of works by Edward Walters (Southport Chapel)
Reference Lancashire North Pevsner Hartwell Page 624
Note Listing text erroneously attributes this to Walker of Manchester