William Scott & Company Warehouse (Lindencort House) 34 Charlotte Street
The least ornate of Walter's warehouses in Charlotte Street, the building was supposedly built for William Scott and Company, although reference to this firm has yet to be found. Constructed of brick with stone dressings, the decorative elements within the composition were reduced to a minimum, being restricted to the entrance doorways only.
LISTING TEXT - Includes: No.39 FAULKNER STREET. Textile merchants' warehouse, now also bar and offices. 1855, by Edward Walters; altered. Light red brick with sandstone dressings (roof not visible). Shallow rectangular plan parallel to street, with loading in left side wall. Simplified Italian palazzo style. Basement and 5 storeys, a 6 window facade, with channelled plinth, quoins, sill bands to all floors, and moulded cornice. The ground floor has in the 4th bay a large round headed stone doorway with channelled cavetto surround, swagged spandrels and a cornice; and round headed windows with keystones linked to the sill band above. The upper floors have segmental headed windows with keystones. All these windows have recessed 4 pane sashes (except those at top floor which have 4 pane altered glazing). The right hand side wall, 3 bays in matching style, has a large round headed stone doorway to the 3rd bay (39 Faulkner Street). The left side wall (to Reyner Street) has, inter alia, a full height former loading slot (now blocked). INTERIOR: open well staircase with open string, 2 stout turned balusters per tread, and broad mahogany handrail with large raised grip; otherwise, not inspected. Forms part of a group of 5 similar buildings on this side of the street, 4 of them by the same architect.