Building Name

Zion Independent Chapel Stretford New Road Hulme

1841 - 1842
Stretford New Road
Hulme, Manchester
GMCA, England
New Build

“ZION” INDEPENDENT CHAPEL, HULME - On Thursday last the foundation stone of a new independent chapel was laid adjoining the Stretford New Road on the south side of the road between Jackson’s Lane and Moss Lane. .. The inscription plate bearing an inscription as follows:

The foundation stone of this building, to be called Zion Chapel, situated in the Stretford New Road, Hulme, Manchester, in the county of Lancaster, intended for the worship of Almighty God, was laid on Thursday the third day of June, in the fourth year of the reign of Victoria, Queen of England, and in the year of our Lord and Redeemer, Jesus Christ, 1841, by the Rev James Gwyther, minister of the church and congregation now assembling in the independent chapel, Great Jackson Street, Hulme. Architect William Hayley Esq, Manchester. The Welsh Independents have purchased the Great Jackson Street Chapel, and take possession on completion of the Zion Chapel. Of Zion it shall be said this and that man was born in her, and the Highest himself shall establish her. Ps lxxxvii 5

The chapel is to be a very elegant structure in the style which has been denominated the Roman Corinthian. The front to Stretford New Road is to be faced with stone; it consists of a recessed entrance, to which access is to be had by a flight of steps, between Corinthian pillars and antae of the same order, which support a very fine bold pediment. The basement story will be appropriated as a school room, 63 feet by 47 feet, with library, class-room, and other conveniences. The chapel is to have two side galleries and one front gallery for the congregation, a singers’ galley and an upper gallery for the Sunday scholars; it includes two vestries, and is to be supplied with heating apparatus, etc. It is intended to accommodate about 1,100 persons and is expected to be finished by March next. It will probably cost between£,3,000 and £4,000. A neat iron palisading is to surround a piece of ground around the chapel, which, however, we believe, will not be used as a place of burial. [Manchester Guardian 4 June 1841 page 2]

OPENING OF ZION INDEPENDENT CHAPEL STRETFORD NEW ROAD, HULME .... The style of architecture of this edifice is what is termed the Roman Corinthian order, with a handsome front to the road, being the north end of the chapel. This front, which is faced with stone, consists of a recessed entrance, to which access is to be had by a flight of steps, between Corinthian pillars and antae of the same order, which support a very fine bold pediment. The basement story contains a spacious school room, 63 feet by 47 feet, which however is separated by a partition into two rooms, for the greater convenience of teaching. On the same floor there are four other rooms for classrooms,  library, etc. The chapel is galleried round, the sides front for the congregation, a singers’ and organ galley recessed under the south window, and an upper gallery at the north end, capable of containing 300 Sunday scholars. There are two vestries; the chapel is supplied with heating and ventilating apparatus and is lighted with gas, both from elegant bronze tripod branches from the walls and a very large central gas candelabrum from the ceiling of the chapel. This being lofty and the chandelier elevated considerably above the heads of the congregation in the galleries, the effect of the large circle of 50 flat flame jets of naked gas, while a brilliant light is then diffused through the whole chapel, is yet so mellowed and chastened by the elevation of the chandelier, as to take away all unpleasant glare. Mr William Hayley is the architect, and Mr Thomas Southcott the builder. The pulpit is a handsome structure, designed by Mr Hayley, and erected by Mr Ireland. The chapel is calculated to seat about 1,100 persons exclusive of the 300 Sunday scholars. ... The chapel and ground are to be surrounded by a neat iron palisading; but it is not intended to have interments in the grounds. [Manchester Guardian 7 May 1842 page 3]

Reference    Manchester Guardian 8 May 1841 page 1 - contracts
Reference    Manchester Guardian 15 May 1841 page 1- contracts
Reference    Manchester Guardian 4 June 1840 page 2 - foundation stone
Reference    Manchester Guardian 7 May 1842 page 3 - opening