Lever Brothers Architects Department
In 1910 James Lomax Simpson was appointed to take charge of the Architectural Department of Lever Brothers and was made a director in 1917. As Company Architect he undertook work in over twenty‑five different countries and was responsible for most of the development of Port Sunlight from 1910 onwards. He also carried out much work for Lever himself, including alterations and additions to Thomton Manor, The Hill at Hampstead and Lewis Castle, Stornoway. Possibly his most important work was Unilever House, London, with executive architects, Bumet, Tait and Partners, opened by the Lord Mayor of London in July 1932.