Robert Scrivener (1812-1878) was born in Ipswich on 28 March 1812 and had established his architectural practice at Hanley by about 1850. In 1868 the firm became Robert Scrivener & Son when he was joined by his eldest son Edward Elvin (1838/9-1906), followed by younger sons Robert George and Alexander (1852-1921). The practice worked for the most part in North Staffordshire but Robert Scrivener was also a prominent member of Bethesda Methodist New Connexion, Hanley and through this he obtained a number of Methodist Chapels over a wider geographical area, including two in Manchester and Salford.
Robert Scrivener died on 19 April 1878 aged 67 and was buried in Bethesda churchyard
1860s-2000 Robert Scrivener and Sons architects, Howard Place, Shelton, Hanley