William Riddell Glen
The son of James Glen, provision merchant and his wife Margaret Riddell. William Riddell Glen was born in Hutchesontown in 1885. He was articled to Burnet, Boston & Carruthers from 1900 to 1904 then transferring to the practice of John Archibald Campbell. He won a studentship at Glasgow School of Architecture where he studied from 1900 to 1905.
W R Glen commenced independent practice in 1912 at 144 St Vincent Street, Glasgow. During the First World War he served in the Glasgow Highlanders, rising to the rank of major and winning an MC. On completion of his active war service in 1919 he returned to Glasgow and went into partnership with Albert Victor Gardner. The practice, Gardner & Glen, with offices at 164 Bath Street, Glasgow specialised in the design of 'atmospheric' cinemas. The partnership was dissolved in 1929 when Glen, having obtained an appointment as architect to Associated British Cinemas Ltd, of 30-31 Golden Square, moved to London. He remained in this post for the remainder of his career. He was elected LRIBA on 18 June 1934, his proposers being William James King, John Edwin Yerbury and Andrew Graham Henderson.
Ill health forced Glen into early retirement but he was retained by the ABC chain as a consultant. He died on 19 February 1950 after an illness which lasted five months. He left a widow and two daughters.
1912-1914 : 144, St Vincent Street, Glasgow
1919-1929 : 164, Bath Street, Glasgow, Scotland
1929- : ABC Cinemas 30-31, Golden Square, Upper John Street, London
Heddon House/149, Regent Street, London
1900 : 353, Cathcart Road, Glasgow, Scotland
1921 : 18, Clincart Road, Glasgow, Scotland
1934 : “Stedley,” The Park, Sidcup, Kent