Building Name

Bethel English Baptist Chapel, Mount Stuart Square, Cardiff

1858 - 1859
South Glamorgan, Wales
New Build

Founded by members of Bethany Chapel, Wharton Street, first as a Sunday School in 1840 in West Bute Street, the first chapel was built in James Street in 1849. Then the Congregation moved to a new chapel in Mount Stuart Square in 1859. This chapel closed In 1965 when the congregation moved to Pomeroy Street. The building was demolished in 1996.

A survivor of the first development of the square. Thickly detailed, debased classical, the facade dominated by a Serliana motif. Brick and stone painted black and white. [Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan Page 272]

Reference    Buildings of Wales: Glamorgan Page 272