Golf Club House for Royal Birkdale Golf Club, Birkdale
For all its classic links virtues, Birkdale has one compelling anomaly: a modernist Art Deco clubhouse, designed in 1934 by George Tonge
First place in a limited competition for designs for a golf club house for the Birkdale Golf Club has been awarded to Mr George E Tonge LRIBA FIAA, National Provincial Bank Chambers, Lord Street, Southport. The assessor was Mr J Herbert Worthington OBE MA FRIBA. The scheme is to proceed at once. [Builder 15 June 1934 Page 1014]
BIRKDALE £10,000 GOLF CLUB- HOUSE OPENED The official opening ceremony of Birkdale Golf Club's new £l0,000 club house took place on Saturday night, when Mr. A. Marland, the club captain, unlocked the door with the golden key presented the contractors and architect, Mr. George Tonge. [Lancashire Evening Post 8 July 1935 page 3]
Reference Builder 15 June 1934 Page 1014
Reference Lancashire Evening Post 8 July 1935 page 3
Reference Architects' Journal 14 June 1934, p. 855.
Reference Architect & Building News 1936 Mar. 20, p. 374 375.
Reference Building Oct 1935, p. 384.