Manchester Bury Rochdale and Oldham Steam Tramway: Bury to Kersal Bar
The Company was formed for the purpose of constructing, equipping and working a system of steam tramways in the important residential and manufacturing districts in the neighbourhood of Manchester and Salford. …. The first route authorised by the Board of Trade, confirmed by Act of Parliament, was to run from Higher Broughton through Prestwich and Whitefield to Bury extending thence in the directions of Walmersley, Tottington and Heywood.
MANCHESTER AND BURY STEAM TRAMWAYS. - Yesterday the Manchester Bury, Rochdale, and Oldham steam tramways were officially inspected so far as the Manchester and Bury sections are concerned, by Lieutenant General Hutchinson, of the Board of Trade. The tramways commence near Kersal Bar, and run direct to Bury, through Prestwich, Whitefield, etc, a distance of about six miles, and then through various parts of the town of Bury. The line from Manchester to Bury is constructed on the same gauge as the Manchester tramways, 4ft. 8½ inches, and the metals are of steel. The Innes in the town of Bury are of less width. The cars to Manchester will be propelled by steam, and the engine cars constructed to resemble as much possible the tramcars. In the preliminary run to Kersal Bar and back, which was made by two engines and two tramcars, the cars ran very smoothly, and the engines emitted very little smoke and made but a slight noise in moving. The trial trip was considered very satisfactory. On the arrival of the party back at Bury a small tramcar ran along the Bury lines, which pass along Market-street, Princess-street, Rochdale Road, Stanley-street, Moorgate, to Limefield, the boundary of the borough. The lines to Tottington are not yet completed. but they are in progress, as are also the lines through Bury to Heywood, and Oldham, which are expected to be opened in a few months. The engineers for the line are Messrs. Newton (London) and Vawser, of Manchester. The sheds at the Bury depot are to contain 20 engines and 14 cars, and stabling for 13 horses, with a shed also for the narrow-gauge cars. The peculiarity of the cars is that they are fitted with flexible wheels, patented by Mr. Grover, of London, which enable them to turn curves readily. The inspector expressed himself pleased with the line. [Manchester Guardian 22 February 1883 page 6]
Reference Manchester Guardian 12 December 1881 page 1 – prospectus
Reference Manchester Guardian 22 February 1883 page 6 – opening from Bury to Kersal Bar, Higher Broughton
Reference Manchester Guardian 23 October 1883 page 1 – prospectus second issue