- Born 13 September 1841
- Died Sunday 15 September 1889
- Burial St Wendredua’s Church March, Cambridgeshire
Robert Vawser was born on 13 September 1841, the third son of Charles Vawser of Waldersea, March, Cambridgeshire, and, educated at Peterborough. He was afterwards articled to M O Tarbotton, of Nottingham, with whom he subsequently remained for a short period, being entrusted with the carrying out of various important works. In 1863 Robert Vawser entered the office of C E Cawley (sometime MP. for Salford), of London and Manchester, under whom he designed and superintended various engineering works. In 1866, he obtained the appointment of principal assistant to the Borough Engineer of Belfast, under whom he carried out public works of considerable magnitude, including the sewering and paving of one hundred and thirty streets. A year later Vawser was appointed Borough Surveyor of Warrington, where he designed and carried out numerous works, including main-sewerage works, several miles of impervious pavements, an infectious disease hospital, art gallery, etc. In his letter of resignation, dated October 22, 1877, he stated that nearly ten years had elapsed since his pleasing association with the council commenced, and that he should always remember with satisfaction that Borough Surveyor of Warrington was his first public appointment.
Robert Vawser next commenced business on his own account in Manchester and soon acquired a large and lucrative practice, more especially in sewerage and sewage works, and at the time of his death was engaged upon important works at Swinton, Milnrow, Reddish, Tyldesley, Royton, etc. He did not, however, devote himself exclusively to sanitary engineering, and amongst other works was engaged upon the extensive system of tramways, known as the Manchester, Bury, Rochdale and Oldham Tramways, the Barrow-in-Furness Tramways, etc. He was elected an Associate of Association of Municipal and Sanitary Engineers and Surveyors in 1871 and was transferred to the class of Member in 1875, the year that he became member of Council. In 1880 he was a Vice President, and in 1885 President.
He died, somewhat suddenly, after a long and painful illness on 15 September 1889 at his residence 3 Heaton Terrace, Bury Old Road, Manchester and was buried at St Wendredua’s Church, March, Cambridgeshire.