Wesleyan Methodist Chapel Manchester Road Chorlton-cum-Hardy
On Saturday afternoon the foundation stone of a new Wesleyan chapel was laid at Chorlton-cum-Hardy, by Mr John Fildes. The necessity for further chapel accommodation in the village has arisen from the rapid increase in its population during the last ten years. The new place of worship will be built of stone, in the Gothic style of architecture. It is intended to seat about 500 persons. The estimated outlay, including the value of the land, is about ,4,000. .... The architect is Mr H J Paul (sic) and the contractor Mr J Terras. [Manchester Guardian 17 June 1872 page 3].
CHORLTON‑CUM‑HARDY.COn Saturday afternoon the foundation stone of a new Wesleyan Chapel was laid at Chorlton‑cum‑Hardy. The building will be of stone, in the Gothic style, and will seat about 500 persons. The estimated outlay is about ,4,000. The architect is Mr H J Paull, and the contractor Mr J. Terras. [Building News 21 June 1872 page 508].
CHORLTON Methodist Church on Manchester Road opened in 1873, but needed to be restored following a fire in 1883. A church hall and Sunday school was also added at the rear of the site. The buff coloured sandstone building, with a steeply pitched roof covered in Welsh blue/black slate, was designed by H .J Paull. It has geometrical tracery to a large east window facing the road and a south‑east turret, also close to the road.
Reference Manchester Guardian 17 June 1872 page 3
Reference Building News 21 June 1872 page 508