J and H Patteson
Established in 1805 by James Patteson, the firm was continued by (1) James and Henry Patteson (sons); (2) James and Henry Patteson (grandsons); (3) James Patteson; (4) J. H. Burgess and J. E. Mills. In the 1830s they had much to do with the building of the Manchester and Birmingham Railway; the stonework of London Road Station and of many other Manchester buildings being carried out by them. They were amongst the first to develop Marble and Mosaic Work of every description now extensively used in all large buildings. In 1860 the firm acquired the business of John Knowles, Marble Mason and Contractor, the builder of the Theatre Royal. Among many examples of their past work in Manchester are the mosaic pavement and marble steps at the Cathedral, similar pavements at Manchester University, the City Art Gallery, Corn Exchange and the Crematorium. Described as contractors working in Marble and Fine Building Stone, J and H Patteson of 2-4 Tudor Road, Altrincham, finally went into liquidation on 1 August 1980.
J. & H. PATTESON, IMPORTERS OF AND DEALERS IN FOREIGN AND BRITISH MARBLES; WORKERS IN MARBLE, GRANITE, AND STONE; MONUMENTAL MASONS, AND ARCHITECTURAL AND DECORATIVE SCULPTORS, 36 AND 38, OXFORD STREET, MANCHESTER. - This old and widely-known house, which takes rank among the most eminent of English concerns in the several interesting branches of art industry with which its name is associated, was founded as far back as the year 1805, by the grand-father of the present proprietors. These latter gentlemen, Messrs. J. and H. Patteson, have now been in joint control of the house for a good many years, and have always devoted their personal attention to the management of its affairs. The firm’s premises in Oxford Street, Manchester, comprise a large and handsome block of buildings with a street frontage of about 250 feet, and here there are two tiers of spacious show-rooms and galleries, splendidly lighted, and exhibiting an immense variety of Messrs. Patteson’s special designs and productions in architectural and decorative stone and marble work, sculptures of all kinds, chimney pieces in marble and wood, marble pavements, wall linings, English and foreign tiles for floors, tiles for walls and fireplaces, pedestals for busts and statuettes, and every description of high-class work in marble, granite, &c , ceramic wall and floor decorations, architectural terra-cotta and faience, enamel mosaics for walls and ceilings, marble mosaic pavements, fonts, reredoses, and all the higher grades of work incidental to their important art. The stock also embraces a number of utilitarian articles of a high order of merit, such as grates, fenders, and kitchen ranges, slate slabs, cisterns, etc.
Messrs. Patteson are fully prepared to execute any of the stonework or marble work required in the fitting-up of a house or public building of any kind, and they are equally at home in every branch of this trade, attaining the highest results in all. Their working facilities are most complete, and everything is done under the eye of the principals, who spare no effort to give continuous satisfaction to all their clients, and thus to duly maintain the high reputation their house has so long enjoyed. A few local examples may be mentioned here. (1) The main entrance to the Lancashire and Yorkshire bank, Manchester; (2) the interior of the banking chamber in the same building, and particularly the noble and unique chimney piece; (3) the new altar and reredos at St. James’s Church, Marsh Lane, Bootle; (4) the beautiful and imposing memorial to the late John Rylands, in the Manchester Southern Cemetery; (5) the main staircase and hall of the Midland Railway Hotel, Bradford; (6) the banking chamber of the Manchester and County Bank, Blackburn, and many other works. They speak for themselves in every instance, and are more eloquent than words in proclaiming the skill and resources of the firm under whose auspices they were completed. [The Century’s Progress. 1892]