John Henry Woodhouse
- Born 2 September 1847 at Ancoats
- Died Died 21 December 1929, aged 82
- Burial Willow Grove Cemetery Reddish
The son of John and Jane Woodhouse, John Henry Woodhouse was born in Ancoats, Manchester, on 2 September 1847. A steadfast churchman, for the whole of his life he was associated with St Andrew's Church there, being a member of the choir for seventy-two years. He was articled to Philip Nunn, of Manchester in 1865 and continued with Royle and Bennett when they took over the practice. He also studied at Manchester School of Art. He commenced practice in partnership with S. Taylor Smith, under the style of Smith and Woodhouse; subsequently being joined by George H. Willoughby under the style Smith Woodhouse and Willoughby. After Smith left, the remaining partners continued in partnership as Woodhouse and Willoughby until 30 June 1905 when the practice was dissolved by mutual consent. They obtained numerous architectural commissions, for the most part secured in "open competition," including Blackburn Municipal Technical Institute, Rochdale Municipal Technical Institute, Widnes Municipal Technical Institute and Library, Heywood Municipal Technical Institute, Winsford Municipal Technical Institute and Gymnasium, Hyde Municipal Technical Institute and Free Library, Bury Municipal Art Galleries and Public Library, Stockport Infirmary (" Jubilee" additions), Barrow in Furness Technical Institute (Corporation), Colne Municipal Technical Institute, Heaton Moor Town Hall and offices, Salford School Board offices, the Scholarship Higher Grade School (Salford School Board), Marlborough Road School, Hightown (Salford School Board), Lyon Street School, Ancoats (Manchester School Board), Holland Street School (Manchester School Board), the new Grammar Schools, Dudley, Worcestershire; St. Peter's Schools, Stockport; the Wesleyan Schools, Edgeley, Stockport, Fire Station London Road etc.
In 1907 he entered into partnership with A E Corbett and his long-serving assistant, Segar Dean under the style Woodhouse Corbett and Dean, their most significant work being the YMCA, Peter Street. Following Corbett’s departure in 1912 the partnership was continued as Woodhouse and Dean
He was President of the Manchester Architectural Association, and was elected a Fellow of the Manchester Society of Architects in 1884; Vice President of the Society, 1898; elected Fellow of the Royal Institute of British Architects in 1893.
John Woodhouse died on 21 December 1929 at at his residence, Castlemere, Peel Moat Road, Heaton Chapel and was interred at Willow Grove Cemetery, Reddish.
Buildings and Designs
|Smith and Woodhouse||Architectural practice||1875||1886||Manchester|
|Smith Woodhouse and Willoughby||Architectural practice||1886||1888||Manchester|
|Woodhouse and Dean 3300||Architectural practice||1913||1928||Manchester|
|Woodhouse and Willoughby||Architectural practice||1888||1905||Manchester|
|Woodhouse Corbett and Dean||Architectural practice||1906||1913||Manchester|
|Woodhouse Willoughby (and Langham)||Architectural practice||1901||1902||Manchester|