Mangnall and Littlewood (II)
A partnership between William Henry and Frank Littlewood, established following the death of John Littlewood in 1901. Although the practice was listed in the Manchester directories until 1917 it appears to have effectively ended by 1912.
William Henry and Frank Littlewood undertook several seaside commissions under the style of Mangnall and Littlewoods in the period 1900-1911. These included Bridlington Grand Pavilion (1906), a 3,000 seat Classical design, and the Edwardian Baroque style Pavilion Theatre (1908) in Weymouth Their most important commission during the 1900s was the rebuilding the Frank Matcham designed Opera House in Blackpool Winter Gardens. Consideration had first been given to replacing the Opera House about 1902, but it was 1910 before work began and June 1911 when W. H. Littlewood’s French Classical Opera House opened. The Littlewoods generally used Classical styles for their seaside pleasure buildings, with Oriental overtones for pier designs. Their work always included complex, highly decorative forms, which proved popular with promoters and holidaymakers alike.
1900-1917 : 42 Spring Gardens, Manchester