- Born 8 April 1838 Liverpool
- Died 24 April 1920 at Oxton, Birkenhead
Edmund Kirby was born in Liverpool, the son of Edmund and Catherine Kirby and educated at Oscott College in Birmingham. He was articled to Edward Welby Pugin in London, where he attended the R A Schools before becoming an assistant to John Douglas in Chester. After travelling in France and Belgium, he commenced independent practice in Liverpool by 1867. In that year he was elected an Associate of the RIBA, a Fellow in 1888, and a Retired Fellow in 1917. He had also served as President of the Liverpool Architectural Association. In 1905 Edmund Kirkby took his two sons, Francis Joseph and Edmund Bertram, into partnership. He retired in 1917, and died in 1920. The practice he founded continued in operation throughout the twentieth century, merging with Matthews and Goodman in 2011. Much of Kirby's work was for the Roman Catholic Church in Northwest England, with occasional examples in North Wales, Staffordshire, Shropshire, and elsewhere. Among his secular works, he was also architect to the North and South Wales Bank.
1867 Derby Buildings, Fenwick Street, Liverpool
1880-1914 Union Buildings, 5 Cook Street, Liverpool
1881 Park Road South, Birkenhead
1920 60 Beresford Road, Oxton, Birkenhead
1905-1917 Edmund Kirby and Sons with Francis Joseph Kirby, surveyor, and Edmund Bertram Kirby architect.
Buildings and Designs
|Kirby, Edmund and Sons||Architectural practice||1905||2011||Liverpool|