Mangnall and Littlewoods
Following the death of William Mangnall in 1868 John Littlewood continued the practice alone under the name of Mangnall and Littlewood until 1874 when he took his brother, William Henry Littlewood into partnership under the style of Mangnall and Littlewoods.
This subtle change in name from singular to plural was lost on many, including members of the contemporary press. It has also been widely but erroneously assumed that William Mangnall’s son, also William, was somehow able to “inherit” his father’s role in the partnership. This never happened as was made clear in a notice published on the front page of the Manchester Courier on 11 July 1887 reading: The WILLIAM MANGNALL, architect, of Wellington-road, Fallowfield, whose bankruptcy was announced in the Courier of the 9th instant, has NO CONNECTION whatever with our firm. MANGNALL & LITTLEWOODS, architects, 29, Brown Street.
As Mangnall and Littlewoods The brothers carried out many designs for public buildings, and obtained first premiums in a number of architectural competitions including the first prize of £500 for their design for Manchester Corporation Gasworks in Bradford Road in 1878, the Campfield Markets, the Salford Corporation baths at Broughton and Regent Road, the new schools and homes for the Chorlton Union Board of Guardians Withington, and other public institutions. Later Mangnall and Littlewoods became conspicuous the erection of piers and concert pavilions health resorts. Morecambe Pier and Concert Pavilion and the Empress Ballroom at Blackpool are instances their art and skill in this direction.